Monday, March 5, 2012

Poptarts-better than poptarts






Ok so floating around pinterest is yet again some recipes for poptarts. I didn't really follow any certain recipe (because you know me) But here is what I did.

So it is a snow day (well what they call a snow day here)and G-man wants a poptart. So I decided to make them.

I have a go to pie crust that has never-ever failed me. Here it is (without a food processor) and when my food processor was alive I used this one. Both are equally yummy. And if you are super lazy Buy refrigerated crust- it is just as good).

I also made a quick jam filling (please don't pass out when you see the sugar content) I used 16 oz bag frozen strawberries and 1 cup of sugar. I put it in a large pot and let it slowly come to a boil ( you can use store bought jam too)

once the strawberries broke down I cranked the heat a bit and stirred, and stirred until I got the consistency I wanted (it coated the spoon)

That Jam is hot and when I say hot I mean melt your skin off hot-be careful!

Ok so here is what you need:
Pie crust
jam
icing (optional)I personally think they are toooooo sweet with the icing but the kids loved it (naturally)
(the icing is just a simple glaze powdered sugar tad of vanilla and a couple drops of water or milk)
sprinkles (optional)
One egg beaten for egg wash

Roll your dough out into rectangles and and a small amount (I made small poptarts so I used about a TBSP) of filling in the center

top with the other half and pinch/crimp together with fingers or a fork.
Place poptarts on cookie sheet (ungreased) and brush tops with beaten egg bake at 450 for 6-10 minutes depending on your oven or until the edges are browned. top with icing and sprinkles if using. Let COOL COMPLETELY (trust me)

Now for the grownup version I added cream cheese filling to mine It was so full I had to eat it with a fork (whoops) but here is what I did.

I used a little less that the half block of cream cheese I had left, sprinkled some sugar (oh eyeball it, you can taste it after you beat it together I would say about 1 1/2- 2 TBSP) a capful of PURE vanilla a drop or two of milk and some fresh grated lemon zest

Beat it all together








No comments:

Post a Comment