Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Brussel Sprouts and Quinoa

Don't let the title scare you. These aren't the brussel sprouts you ate as a child all mushy and boiled, these are fresh yummy goodness.



Quinoa, bacon, onion (one half of a small sweet onion) 3 Garlic cloves, salt, pepper, dill, brussel sprouts.

Prepare your Quinoa according to the directions (this stuff is bland it takes on whatever flavor you add) So I used water but added a bit of garlic and onion powder, olive oil and salt.

Dice up some bacon I used 3 strips and put it in your pan

Cook it and remove to a paper towel to drain - leave the grease in the pan (you could forego the grease and use olive oil but I like the bacon flavor, I probably had about 1- 1 1/2 TBS rendered from the bacon)

Cut about 5 brussel sprouts in half, give your onion and garlic a rough chop.

In your bacon grease or olive oil saute your onion and brussel sprouts, season with salt and pepper, once they begin to soften a bit add your garlic (remember garlic burns quickly) I added one pad of butter at this point. Once your veggies are done add some dill (to your liking, I wanted to do parsley but was out so I grabbed dill, turns out it was awesome!) Add your precooked quinoa and taste to see if it needs any more seasoning. I personally think Quinoa can be dry, so, at this point you can add a bit of chicken stock to the pan so it isn't so dry, I didn't have chicken stock on hand so I decided that I would dollop some sour cream on top and top with a tad more dill. I am a strange bird, or so I have been told, but I tell you the sour cream on it was awesome.


It would also be good if you topped with cheese, but if you are the plain Quinoa type no topping is needed ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment