Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Homemade French fries.

These are so good, they are easier than you think but requires a little more work than opening a bag of frozen ones but it really is worth the extra effort and it saves lots of money since you can buy a 10lb bag of potatoes for the price of 1 or 2 bags of the frozen bags.



in the picture I used red potatoes because it is what I had on hand. Then a couple of nights later I made them with russett potatoes, good both ways.

You can do these skin on or off which ever you prefer I do it both ways but the past two times I have done them skin off.

5-6 good size potatoes fed my family of five and we had leftovers.

In your deep fryer or a large pot on the stove warm your oil (peanut oil is the best but it is pricey and I use a lot of oil so that I can get more done at a time, so I usually use vegetable unless peanut is in the budget) you want it to be around 325

Get a bowl with cold water, this is where you will put your raw fries after you cut them (and while you cut the rest).

Wash and peel potatoes I try to get 4 slices long ways and then 4 fries out of each slice, you can cut the fries according to your preference. Put the fresh cut fries in the cold water once you have cut all your potatoes let them stay in that water for a couple minutes (while you clean up your peeling mess)

Take them out and place them on a dishtowel or paper-towel to drain (make sure they are patted dry water and grease don't mesh well)

Drop them a few at a time being sure not to over crowd the oil I usually can do a handful at a time. Leave them in the oil for a few minutes, they will start to float at the top and won't have much (if any color) but that is ok! put them onto a paper-towel to drain and continue to do the rest. Once all of your fries have been fried once you can crank your oil up to about 350-375, let the fries cool back down to room temp. After they have cooled drop them in the oil for their final frying. They will become golden and crisp, remove from oil onto paper-towel to drain and sprinkle with salt (and pepper if desired, or Cajun seasoning, or dry ranch dressing)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment