Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Chili when it is Chilly

Ok as promised. The chili recipe.

I love making chili because I can usually substitute for what I don't have on hand.

Tonight we have:

I dug through the cabinet because the tomatoes aren't a big deal, just as long as you have at the very least 3 cans (I used Rotel HOT, Delmonte with green chilies and Wal-mart brand chili ready) You have to have 2 large cans of Kidney beans, I use one light red and 1 dark red and another must is the Bush's Chili beans in sauce. I also have 3 LBS of Ground beef and I cheated tonight with 2 packets of McCormick Chili (original) spice packets and 1 onion, If I have green pepper (or Jalapeno) on hand I use that too. (this really is a throw together meal.


Now, I like my chili chunky but if you've been following my husband is picky So here is what I do, you can skip the puree step and you can dice (instead of grate your onions)

Brown and drain Ground beef


Add all the tomatoes and the grated onion (or any other veggies you may have) into your pot. Simmer until flavors meld and onions begin to break down (you can also saute your onions, peppers etc with your ground beef if you are not pureeing)


Puree the sauce. I have one of those handy dandy hand blender deals, got it on clearance for like $5 and LOVE.IT.

Drain your Red Kidney beans well.


Add your beef, Beans (chili beans WITH sauce, Kidney beans drained) And add your 2 packets of Seasoning (this has Gluten so if you are trying to stay Gluten free Try adding
4 teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1 tablespoon dried, minced garlic
2 teaspoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
If you want a thickening agent you can use flour (rice if you are Gluten Free) or Cornstarch (which also works with Gluten free I think)

With the 2 seasoning packets I add about another TBSP of Chili powder a shake or two of onion powder and a good healthy squirt of Sirachi sauce (which is optional, but again, if you follow we are addicted to it)

I add anywhere from 1-2 Quarts of water, Depending on how long I am cooking it, today I added 2 Quarts because it was going to simmer for hours, if I am cooking it last minute then I don't add as much but stir constantly. Some like it soupy, some like it thick so it is totally up to you.

Now it is done,

Jason likes to top his with Canned Jalapenos and cheese
I like sour cream and cheese on mine.

Now you have plenty for tonight, plenty for the fridge/freezer

Great meals with Chili besides chili are

Chili Mac and cheese

Chili stuffed baked potato (oh my heavens, it is heaven) I have a picture for this but I cannot find it. hmph.

Chili bacon cheese fries (or Chili Cheese fries)(I have a sure fire way to make Cheese fries and make them PERFECTO)



Top hot dogs or burgers

Nachos (oh man is that ever good, I will have to do this recipe for you guys too!)

Top potato skins Here is my potato skin recipe just don't use the BBQ sauce if topping with Chili!

And last but not least Chili dog pizza I kid you not, it is a real thing. See recipe here






No comments:

Post a Comment