Monday, January 2, 2012

Introduction

I am not new to the blogging game. I love to blog about all things. I want, this year, to start a blog with money saving recipes that don't short you on taste. I decided this blog should have its own domain so that it will be easier to maintain for me and easier for you to find exactly what you are looking for.

Hopefully I will post daily. My goal is to create meals for you under $10 (realistically) and under $5 (hopefully).

I am starting from scratch. I haven't stockpiled, I haven't grocery shopped yet. Just have my pantry items. This way you can see from start to finish. I often find blogs about Cheap meals and find that though they are cheap for that person, they are not for me because I don't have the same stock-pile.

This week I have some family coming to stay so I am hoping to bring you awesome cheap meals that can feed up to 6 people.

Along with money saving recipes I hope to share with (and gain from you) some money saving tips.


To start:
Always, Always, ALWAYS make a meal plan. When you make a meal plan for the week, and your grocery list from that you can save a lot of money just by following that.

When making a meal plan, think about leftovers usually you can have Friday as a potluck day, warm all the left overs and your meal was free!!!

Also keep in mind whatever is on sale should be on your meal plan. Try hard to stay with the meats that are on special or "managers special" find out what days your local store marks down meat and take advantage of it by freezing those meats when you get home.

When you find a great deal make extra and freeze it, what mom doesn't love a meal that is just a thaw and cook dinner! Chili, soups, sauces, meatloaf, casseroles all freeze well (when freezing a soup with a pasta, don't add the pasta to the quarts you freeze and it will make it taste that much fresher)

Don't be afraid to try new ideas and fail. I've failed many times but it is a live and learn process.

Have a picky eater? Never fear, Heather is here. My husband (God bless his lil ole heart) is one of the pickiest eaters I've ever met, he doesn't like veggies in his food ie. Onions, peppers etc... But guess what, I found a way to put them in and he most of the time has no clue. I also have a son with texture issues, talk about a challenge. I seriously think he may turn into a chicken nugget. He won't eat anything that is "wet" or "soggy" or "mushy" but give him a cupcake doused in icing and he is all about mushy food.

When I set my budget, I set it $10 under what I want to spend (that way I am not so devastated if I go a little over). I always pay IN CASH, I leave my debit card and check book at home so those impulse buys are less tempting. I usually set my budget between $50-$100 for the week. (unless it is the week I have to buy cleaning supplies and diapers)

Use coupons, it is a pain in the patoot but it can be worth it. I find it hard to use coupons because we don't eat a lot of processed foods (though my husband loves fake mashed taters over the homemade ones, no clue what is wrong with him).

Start an herb garden and save a ton of money. Parsley, basil, garlic and chives are my favorite (though I killed all of mine this year by setting them under my AC vent :/) Grow veggies, even if you are in a small apartment you can still grow tomatoes, peppers etc... You'd be surprised how much money you save with just those two items (making and freezing sauces, dicing and freezing the peppers).

I hope you enjoy this blog as much as I am going to enjoy writing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment