Monday, January 2, 2012

Pork chops, taters and peas Under $10 for 4 people

Tonight supper will be simple. Monday nights are dance nights for the girl so it is always busy and rush rush. Every time I say pork chops I go back to that Brady Bunch episode where Peter was trying to talk like Humphrey Bogart and Says "pork-chops and applesauce".



I hit the meat mark-down day at the local grocery store and scored a pack of thin cut center chops (5 total) for $3
As I mentioned before my husband likes the boxed/fake taters so tonight he wins, I scored big time with catching them on sale and having a .50 coupon that doubled. I always keep canned peas on hand, this is not cost effective because J likes those silver canned ones, ya know the ones that are like $1.69 EACH CAN...but you can save by using frozen or even store brand.


There really is no rocket science to this meal. I soak the chops in buttermilk for at least 2 hours (don't have buttermilk? make your own, 1 TBSP of lemon juice or vinegar in a 1 cup measuring cup add milk to make 1 cup let sit 5 minutes.) I happen to have some bread crumbs that I made from left over crust that the kids (and I) don't eat. If you don't have any you can purchase it fairly cheap or dry out a few slices of bread in the oven. I mix a little salt, garlic powder, pepper and sometimes a tad of oregano or thyme, whatever I am feeling like at the moment. I pan fry them just long enough to get the crust golden then finish them off in the oven (350 for a few minutes the thin ones don't take long at all).

Tonight Betty crocker is making my potatoes, it cost me about $1.00 total to use that and it is super quick.
If you want to make them from scratch here is what I do. I peel (if desired) and slice the potatoes not to thin but not to thick about 1/4" or so, you can dice them too if you don't want to be all precise. Grate or dice one onion. Put the onion and potato in a large pot with salted water and a tad of milk, boil until ALMOST TENDER. put the parboiled potatoes in a casserole dish, salt and pepper and fresh grated cheddar cheese and some evaporated milk (I usually use about 6 large russet potatoes and just about an entire can of milk) If you don't have evaporated milk you can use regular milk. (or you can also make a roux in a pan with butter and flour then add part of your cheese and milk to that and pour over your taters and top with more shredded cheese, I find both ways are great but one is less time consuming)

The peas, well there isn't much to talk about there, dump the can into the pot, add some butter, salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar let them get hot. However if you want to get all fancy and technical you can add a little cream (or half n half) and some flour you can even throw in some of those cute little frozen pearl onions too.

The youngest (the picky one) will eat the pork chops because I will lie and tell him it is a chicken nugget, we will make him eat the peas, there is no way around that one. Any suggestions on making peas fun?

Today my entire menu was:
Breakfast for the kids Scrambled eggs (4) .50 slice of toast with butter .30
My breakfast was one egg scrambled with a bit of onion, garlic and green olives. .30

Lunch:
1 PB&J (for the picky one) .50
1 box of Mac and cheese for The girl and I to split and have a serving left over. $1
J packed so he had left over beef stew and saltines (no cost since it was left overs)


Snack
cookies and fruit cocktail $1.75

Supper:
See above So the entire day cost less than $15


Tuesday's tentative menu:
Breakfast: dutch baby with strawberries
Lunch: grilled cheese with Carrots and ranch dip
Snack: fruit
Supper: crockpot Turkey breast (applewood smoked) Mashed potatoes and green beans.
The turkey breast will leave left overs for sandwiches and the mashed potatoes will leave left overs for potato cakes.

Wednesday's tentative menu:
Breakfast: Potato cakes and sausage
Lunch: Turkey sandwiches
Supper: Chili

No comments:

Post a Comment