Thursday, January 5, 2012

potato cakes Breakfast for under $3

Potato cakes. Man these things take me way back. I loved having mashed potatoes with supper because I knew mom would make Potato cakes for breakfast in the morning. I would (as a child) smoother it in ketchup luckily my palate has matured a tad now :)

For potato cakes you need Left over Mashed potatoes (I had oh about 2 1/2 -3 cups left over) 1 egg beaten About 1/4 - 1/2 cup flour (plus some for light coating), salt and pepper to taste and optional diced onion (they are really good with onion in them but I used my last one in chili last night) *to make these gluten free substitute flour for rice flour or your favorite blend, lightly coat the potato cakes in either your flour blend or corn meal)

In a bowl combine your potatoes beaten egg, salt and pepper and about 1/4 cup of flour (add it a little at a time) you want it to get a little thick but it will still be sticky.




on a shallow pan or plate have flour ready for coating (season this with a bit of salt and pepper as well). With an ice cream scoop, scoop some potatoes and place in the flour plate shake around coating the entire ball.


In a skillet heat about 1 tbsp of oil (I used vegetable oil today some people use shortening or bacon grease but I am trying not to die of heart failure) Place the coated balls in the heated oil and



gently press down into "cakes"


Do not flip until a golden "crust forms" (don't do this on high gear medium heat is sufficient) Flip them once.


Place on platter (with a paper towel if you wish to drain them).




Fry an egg to put on top

Or top with Cheese and sour cream



The potatoes are leftovers so they are actually free the eggs are only about 10 cents each you could even use a little bit of sausage to patty up some mini patties you don't need a lot because the potato cakes are very filling!

This meal is easily made for under $3.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds and looks so good!! My problem is, I never have any leftover mashed potatoes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha, you will just have to make extra and hide them in the fridge ;)

    ReplyDelete